Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Second grade

Dear Julie Pie,

You are almost done with the second grade. Yippeee! It has turned out to be quite a successful year. Your teacher this year is Ms. Semer and with her patience and sincere concern, she has given us some peace and hope that you will do just fine. She helped us aggressively pursue having you tested for dyslexia and after all those tests you were identified as dyslexic. According to the teacher that conducted the tests, you were not a clear cut case but needless to say she said you could definitely benefit from the tools she had to offer. Your dad and I sat in that room with Ms Garrison, Ms Semer, Mr King, and Ms Walther and I couldn't help but get a bit choked up because it was such a sense of relief after years of frustration wondering if it was ADHD or your eyesight. And you know what, since you started going to Ms Walther for reading, you have made the AB Honor Roll, scored several 100s on spelling tests, and even improved in all your other work. You seem so much more focused and organized. I am so proud of you honey. So, so proud that you have taken this in stride and flourished.

You've also mastered and changed in little ways and of course these things are probably only significant to me, but that's ok...

Well, the biggest thing is that you learned how to ride your bike and to me this is the most amazing thing ever! I get a certain joy in my heart to watch you ride and feel free and I think it is because it takes me back to when I was your age and I used to leave on my bike for hours at a time. The sense of escape and freedom was tremendous. One night we were having girlfriend night while T and Matty were at Uncle Lucas' house when we saw on SuperNanny how this daddy took his son out to a big soccer field to teach him how to ride. We both looked at each other and instantly loaded up my car with your bike and went down to Fisherman's Park. It was amazing watching you take off.

This coming Saturday you will receive your First Communion. You are going to look so beautiful in your white dress. I still remember mine like it was yesterday. I hope your day is as special as mine was many many moons ago.

You are getting so big, my love. You are definitely not my little baby anymore because I cannot carry you to your bed when you fall asleep in the car. But you are still my baby and treasure these days because soon enough the doll house and play-kitchen in your room will no longer be awesome. But when that time comes, I hope you still enjoy my company and my hugs. I pray that when that time comes you are strong, kind, giving, and confident. I hope you trust me and like me.

I love you Sweet Girl. I miss you when you are gone and I think about you always.

Love, Momma

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITEMETER

BACKGROUND